Mike J. Smith
Mike J. Smith,VP Reservoir Management, Exploration Production Technology. BSc, Cranfield University, Mathematics and Mathematical Methods. BP Industrial Scholarship at RMCS Shrivenham, Defense College of Management & Technology
Current Research Interests
- Supporting Business Units in the generation of production and reserve growth options from new and existing fields while understanding, protecting and optimizing the existing production base.
- Provides assurance that risks associated with new field developments, concerning reservoir performance, have been identified and are being managed appropriately.
- Plays a central technical role to ensure that the appropriate technology and skills required to meet the above are available.
- Owns the functional strategy, ensuring alignment across the segment and with SPUs.
- Stewards/manages enabling technology programs (including IT&S) in reservoir management ensuring alignment with Segment/SPU needs.
- Delivers specialist technical consulting to the SPUs.
- Provides input to Flagship VP on the strategy and direction of the Technology Flagships.
Teaching Activities at Princeton – Winter & Spring 2010
ENV 531/GEO/CEE: Topics in Energy and the Environment: Making the Most of Scarce Hydrocarbon Resources
This course will predominantly explore the science, technology and business of oil and gas extraction, highlighting the historical role played by global politics and more recently ever demanding environmental expectations. Students will examine the history of oil and gas production, review current techniques to quantify discovered resources and maximise production. Drilling and production operations will be reviewed within the context of achieving maximum recovery ( focus on primary, improved and enhanced recovery schemes ) providing a basis for examining definitions of reserves and resources under a variety of economics models.
The course will conclude by reviewing the evolution of the oil & gas industry as it has reacted to demand for secure but ever increasing supplies of a vital global resource whilst running safe and environmentally responsible operations.
See Profile: Spring 2010 BP-Vann Visiting Fellow to learn more about Mike J. Smith.